Surgery For Kids: What to Expect
When surgical procedures are deemed necessary to treat the range of ENT conditions, knowing what to expect often provides the most comfort. Though the steps will vary depending on each patient and procedure, surgery day typically will consist of:
- Arrival at the hospital a minimum of two hours prior to the procedure.
- For patients younger than 10 years of age, no IVs are administered prior to surgery; instead, a mask is used in the operating room to sedate the patient so that the IV goes in more easily.
- Average surgery times (vary by patient and procedure) range from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours.
- If time in the recovery room is required, one parent is allowed in the room with the child (dependent upon hospital policy).
- After recovery and once the child is deemed ready to go home, specific instructions will go home with you along with a prescription for any pain medications as needed.
As for what to bring with you on the day of surgery, here are a few helpful tips:
- A comforting item for your child, such as a blanket, toy, pacifier, etc. Let your child help you pick the item.
- Bottle or sippy cup. Your child may need to drink clear liquids after surgery and may prefer drinking from a familiar bottle or cup.
- Pajamas, slippers, and a toothbrush in case your child needs to spend the night.
- Something to help you pass the time while you are waiting – as well as comfortable clothing and toiletries if your child is spending the night.
Read most FAQs.
After Surgery: Recovering at Home
In the days that follow surgery, the Savannah Pediatric ENT staff calls each patient to ensure recovery is still progressing and to answer any questions you may have. As an added comfort, Dr. Poole, Dr. Ambrose, dedicated scheduling administrator Elizabeth Ray, as well as physician assistant, Matthew Crawford, are all easily reached via phone to ensure your child’s total wellbeing.
Let there be no question, when it comes to the expert care of your child – in a warm, friendly, welcoming environment – no one goes to greater lengths than Savannah Pediatric ENT. As a practice, we understand that there is perhaps no greater level of trust than when you put your child’s care in our hands. We do not take that trust lightly, and look forward to leveraging our expertise and commitment to patient care for the health of your child.